- Nit Rourkela
National Institute of Technology Rourkela
Formerly known as Regional Engineering College Rourkela (REC Rourkela), National Institute of Technology Rourkela (NITR), is a premier institute of higher learning for engineering, science and technology located in the steel city of Rourkela, Odisha established in 1961. It is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India and has been recognized as an Institute of National Importance by the National Institutes of Technology Act, 2007.
The main building of the institute is in a central area and is surrounded by the departmental buildings. It houses all the classrooms, the Central Library, and the Administrative and Academic sections. It also houses departments like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Humanities. All the departments, the lecture gallery, the workshops, the institute canteen and the audio-visual hall surround the main building.
Academic Programs in NIT Rourkela
The institute has the following departments which offer B. Tech, B. Tech-M. Tech Dual, M. Tech, M.Sc, Integrated M.Sc, MBA and PhD degree.
- Department of Planning and Architecture
- Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering
- Department of Ceramic Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
For a complete list of departments in NIT Rourkela, click here
Academic Programs in NIT Rourkela
- B.Tech., B.Arch., Int.M.Sc. (5 yr), B.Tech./M.Tech. Dual Degree (5 yr)
- M.Tech. (2 Year)
- MBA, M.Sc. (2 year), M.A. (2 year),
- Ph.D., M.Tech (R), D.Sc.,
Admission to all B.Tech courses are made through Joint Entrance Examination (JEE(Main). The counseling for this is done by Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA). Additionally the Institute offers integrated M.Sc and M.Tech degree which are of 5 years duration. Admission to 5 years integrated programs are made from JEE(Main) or similar National level test, along with the admission for B.Tech.
MTech and MBA Admission
The Institute offers Degree of Master of Technology (M.Tech), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science (M.Sc) and Master of Arts (MA) in selective deprtments. All the postgraduate programs are of 2 years (4 semester) duration. The minimum qualification required for the admission to M.Tech program is B.E / B.Tech / M.Sc in relevant subject. Candidates having valid GATE card will get more preference. To be eligible for admission to the M. Sc courses a student must have passed B.Sc. with the proposed specialization as relevant subject. The M.Tech/M.Plan admission is through Centralised Counselling for M.Tech/M.Plan (CCMT). For MBA the admission is through any of the National Entrance Tests like CAT,MAT,CMAT,XAT etc.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
All departments and centers offer Ph. D. program. The Minimum criteria required for the admission to the program are given below.
- M.E/M.Tech/M.Pharm in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60% marks in aggregate in both B.Tech (or M.Sc./M.Pharm/MCA) and M.Tech levels from recognized technical Institute or University.
- B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharm/MCA or equivalent in relevant discipline with 7.0 CGPA or 65% marks in aggregate.
- M.Sc in Basic Sciences with 7.0 CGPA or 65% marks in aggregate in relevant disciplines.
- M.B.B.S with CGPA 6.5 or 60% marks in aggregate.
- M.Sc./M.A/MBA/M.Com. in Humanities and Social Sciences or Management with CGPA 6.5 or 60% marks.
Candidates having valid NET/GATE score rd along with these criteria will get more preference.
A few departments offer M.Tech by research. This course don’t have a time bound and the course work will be decided by the Masters Scrutiny Committee (MSC). This course requires a submission of original research in form of a thesis..The minimum qualification required for admission to the program is one of the following.
National Institute of Technology Rourkela, Odisha, India, 769008
Email: registrar[at]nitrkl.ac.in, director[at]nitrkl.ac.in
Phone: 0661-246-2021 / 2001
Fax: 0661-246-2022 / 2926