Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
The Radhakrishnan University Education Commission of 1949 emphasised the need for establishing Agricultural Universities in India.The Planning Commission Committee felt the inadequacy of trained personnel for substantial output in agricultural operations.
In 1961, President Elmer Ellies of the University of Missouri, visited the Agriculture and Veterinary Colleges of Orissa for establishment of the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology. This gave birth to Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology on 24th August, 1962. It was inaugurated by Prof. John K. Galbraith, the then U.S. Ambassador in India.
There was no looking back since then. In 1966, the College of Agriculture Engineering and Technology was set up.
In 1981, another College of Agriculture was started at Chiplima. In the same year, the College of Engg. & Tech., College of Home Science, College of Fisheries, Rangeilunda and PG Deptt. of Aquaculture, Bhubaneswar were established.
In 1963, the State owned Agricultural Research Station at Bhubaneswar was transferred to OUAT. Subsequently, Berhampur, Jaypore, Chiplima, Kendrapara, Pottangi and Jashipur Research Stations were brought under the University.