- Berhampur University
Set amidst a lush green environment, Berhampur University was established by the then Governor of Orissa Dr A N Khosla. He was also the first Chancellor of the University.
The University is currently located in Bhanja Bihar named after the famous poet Upendra Bhanja. It covers the districts of Ganjam, Gajapati, Koraput, Rayagada, Nowrangapur, Malkangiri, Kandhamala and Boudh.
There are 11 government colleges and 62 non Government colleges and twenty six professional technical colleges that are affiliated under Berhampur University. The academic programmes cover vast areas ranging from Arts and Science to Nursing, Military Science, Library Science. About two hundred fifty research oriented and text books have been published by the teachers. The University also conducts several U.G.C. sponsored Refresher Courses, Orientation Programmes and Summer Internships for the benefit of the university and college teachers.
Mission of Berhampur University
- Promote inclusive growth in order to cater to the educational needs of the underprivileged people of Southern Odisha, while striving for excellence in scholarship at par with National and International standards.
- Achieve innovation in teaching, learning and research to realize goals of higher education.
- Empower students with relevant knowledge, competence and creativity to face future challenges.
- Create modern teaching ambience for quality academics by providing necessary infrastructure and support to teachers, students and employees.
- Generate awareness of human rights, value systems, culture, heritage, scientific temper and environment.
- Preserve intangible cultural heritage of the region through documentation
- Inculcate amongst students an academic rigor which will inspire them to realize their full potential and contribute to the development of the society as a whole.
Departments of Berhampur University
Central Library of Berhampur University
The Central Library of Berhampur University is named as R.P. Padhi Library to commemorate the memory of the Late R.P. Padhi who served the University as the Vice Chancellor from 1968 to 1972. The Library was established in 1968 to cater to the needs of the students, teachers , and research scholars.
Objectives of R. P. Padhi Library
- To serve as a repository of the resources used for teaching and research.
- To have reference books, journals, magazines, newspapers, periodicals etc. of general knowledge, current affairs, and development of all round personality and communication skills to facilitate employability.
- To assist the faculty members in pursuit of their research activities by providing required reference material to the best of the ability.
- To collaborate with other institutions of national and international repute in positioning the University Central Library as the leading platform for learning and research for the users of on and off the campus.
- To provide global access to retrieve information published worldwide in many disciplines in support of Teaching, Consultancy, and Research.
HariHar Mardaraj Distance Education Centre
Distance Education Programme under Berhampur University is run by the Distance Education Centre of Berhampur University, named after the late Raja Saheb Harihara Mardaraj of the erstwhile estate of Khallikote in the district of Ganjam. It started functioning from 1987.
The main aim of the Centre is to provide educational facilities, particularly to those who cannot pursue regular courses due to financial or other constraints.
Distance Education Courses Offered
The Centre now offers a total number of 28 under-graduate, post-graduate and professional courses. There are contact classes for some subjects with a minimum of 25 students. Admission rate to all the distance education programmes is very high which is in fact a healthy sign.
- Three Year Degree Arts - Pass & Hons.
- Three Year Degree Commerce - Pass & Hons.
- Three Year Degree Science - Hons.
- M.A in English
- M.A. in Odia
- M.A in Political Science
- M.A in History
- M.A in Economics
- M.A in Public Administration
- M.A in Education
- M.A/M.Sc. in Mathematics
- M. Com
- M. Sc in Marine Sciences: (a) Oceanography (b) marine Biology
- M.Sc. in Physics
- M. Sc in Chemistry
- M. Sc Botany
- M. Sc Zoology
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A)
- M.C.A (Lateral Entry)
- P.G Diploma in Banking Finance (PGDBF)
- P.G Diploma in Communicative English (PGDCE)
- Bachelor of Library and Information Science (BLIS)
- Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS)
- P.G Diploma in Computer Application (PGDCA)
- P.G Diploma in Marketing Management (PGDMM)
- P.G Diploma in Yogic Science (DYS)
- P.G. Diploma in Library Automation & Networking
Ph No. +91-680-2227333